Skip to main content

Anti-Hazing Work Shop - lecture attendance assignment

 East Tennessee State University has a strict no hazing policy. I attended this lecture do go more in depth into what hazing is so that I can protect myself and others. ETSU's hazing definition is an activity expected of someone joining a group or organization which humiliates, degrades, or risks emotional discomfort. ETSU takes hazing so seriously that, in the last 8 years, the only reason any organization has been removed from campus is because if hazing. How did hazing come about? It started in the 16th century with sailors because the torture of initiation took place on hazy days. People allow this behavior because they want to fit in. How far does hazing go? There are three types of hazing subtle, harassment, and violent. Subtle consists of things like silent periods, unusual clothing, and the use of names like "pledgie." Harassment is considered to be things like verbal abuse, forcing someone to be your personal assistant, and sleep deprivation. Violent is the most serious. Violent consists of physical or emotional harm. These are things like abduction, forced consumption, public nudity, rape, and burning. Why do organizations let hazing occur? Usually, alcohol is involved. Alcohol impairs judgement and things tend to get out of hand rapidly. Tennessee has laws about hazing that occurs with alcohol. So how can we prevent hazing? Education is key. Then organizations should ask themselves the purpose of the activity. Is it educational? Would it increase respect for our organization, Could parents or members of the university attend? The goal is for experiences in an organization to be humbling, not humiliating. Instead of hazing, organizations should do service projects, and encourage social and sporting events. Other activities organizations can use to bond are as follows: concert, movies, meals, study, invite speakers, and host seminars.

Lea, who facilitated the workshop, introduced us to myths and facts about hazing.

MYTH: IT'S ONLY FOR FRATERNITIES AND SORORITIES.

The truth is hazing is prevalent in all kinds of organizations, and hazing in non-greek life occurs on ETSU campus.

MYTH: HAZING IS NO MORE THAN FOOLISH PRANKS GONE AWRY.

There is a reason the hazing policy is so strict. Hazing is physically, mentally, and emotionally dangerous. 

MYTH: IF THERE IS NO MALICIOUS INTENT, IT SHOULD BE OKAY.

Hazing breaks people down. Organizations are meant to lift people up!

MYTH: IF THEY AGREED TO PARTICIPATE, IT IS NOT HAZING.

In this case, consent to hazing will not hold up in a law suit.

MYTH: HAZING IS DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE.

This is a lie. If you are unsure, ask yourself, "Would make grandma do it?"  If not, it is probably hazing.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sigma Kappa Highway Cleanup

Today I participated in  Sigma Kappa's highway clean up day.  One of our philanthropies is Inherit the Earth which supports caring for our planet. We adopted the highway out-front of ETSU and it stretches to the hospital. Sigma Kappa cleans it twice a semester. My sisters and I spent two hours picking up several trash bags full of litter off of the highway. It was wonderful to make a difference for the community and planet today! 16/30 hours

Blood Drive

10/2 I donated blood during the homecoming blood drive this week and it felt incredible to be able to serve my community. I always get slightly nervous around needles, but I only got slightly lightheaded at the end. The process only took about 1 hour and I helped save 3 lives! 4/25 hours

My Testimony - Fearless, Flawless, Forgiven.

(Adapted from an essay I wrote on failure) I was that   girl. I grew up in church, made straight A's, and was a cheerleader for most of my life. Any club you can name, I attended it in high school. I had an amazing reputation and was so proud of the being the goodie two shoes, all-american girl. Then I went to UT. I met my first boyfriend, and long story short I started making some pretty bad decisions. I ended up alone, broken, and no longer feeling deserving of love- much less the love of my heavenly father. who would want this garbage?  For exactly 361 days, I wanted to die. My hands were trembling, and my breath was cold as it ran over my lips. I felt all alone on Henley Street Bridge, even though I could see the headlights and feel the rush of the cars behind me. I can recall countless nights that I had stayed up, sometimes 24 hours in a row, sobbing and begging God for death. I could not take the feeling that my insides were ripping apart anymore. I had lost myself in